Today is just a simple post to note the passing of one of world motorsport’s true gentlemen. Sir Jack Brabham died on Monday 19 May 2014, at the age of 88.
I had the pleasure of meeting Sir Jack very briefly in 2005. He was a gracious champion.
Sir Jack won the Formula 1 World Championships in 1959, 1960 and 1966. He also won the Constructor’s championships in 1966 and 1967 and is still the only driver to ever win a world championship in a car of his own construction. He has been instrumental in shaping modern day formula one racing.
There were many awards along the way for Sir Jack –
- Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE; 1967)
- Australian of the Year (1966)
- Knight Bachelor (1979)
- Inducted into the Sport Australia Hall of Fame (1985)
- Australian Sports Medal (2000)
- Centenary Medal (2001)
- Elevated to Legend Status, Sport Australia Hall of Fame (2003)
- Officer of the Order of Australia (AO; 2008)
- Inducted into Australian Speedway Hall of Fame (2011)
- Named a National Living Treasure (2012)
RIP Sir Jack